Monday, March 13, 2006

 

Atlanta is ready for its close-up

I may be behind the news curve here, but last night I saw a trailer for a new movie: ATL. The tag line of the movie is “A New American Story,” and it’s about four friends growing up in Atlanta. The main location of their story is a roller skating rink that’s based on JellyBeans, an Atlanta roller skating rink that used to be around. The experiences depicted in the movie are, from what I understand, a pretty accurate reflection of what it was like at the Greenbriar location of JellyBeans. There used to be a JellyBeans located on Roswell Road, too. I remember going to "my" roller rink all of the time in middle school. It was the place to hold a birthday party, and to hang out. I was probably there monthly. Of course, I’m sure my experiences were much different than those depicted in this movie.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how Atlanta appears in this film, and if we as a city will capitalize on this. Is the next step in the Brand Atlanta campaign to use this film for cross-promotion? The film is loosely based on the experiences of many of today’s hip-hop stars who grew up in Atlanta. Outkast, Goodie Mob, T-Boz of TLC, Jermaine Dupri and producer Dallas Austin all hung out at the rink in the 1980s. Could this have been their opening day? :)

The film stars Big Boi, Bone Crusher and T.I., among others, and is produced by Dallas Austin, T-Boz and Will Smith. I believe it opens March 31.
Comments:
Our roller rink of choice "back in the day" was Play Land on Buford Highway. It had a kiddie rink and a adult one and there was a door that separated the two. Only way to successfully navigate between the two rinks was to come out of the kiddie rink at a full sprint to ease into the roation of the adult rink. (Think about merging onto 285.)

I wonder too if my memories from Play Land will resemble anything that's portrayed in the ATL movie...

As a side note, Buford Highway was a much different place 30+ years ago...with Zayre's and Treasure Island being the discount stores of choice (we'd pull up in my mom's Country Squire station wagon.) I'm not the only old time Atlantan in this group who remembers those brands (am I?!).
 
I used to go to that roller skating rink ALL THE TIME for Birthday parties when I was younger.

The song that plays over the trailer for ATL sounds pretty similar to the instrumental version of the Brand Atlanta "ATL" song. hmm. . .
 
I'm a Jellybeans alumni too...the rock-n-roll roller rink on Roswell Road.

Mary, didja ever visit Packets dance club on Roswell Road? Madonna actually played there way back in the days before Holiday was a hit.

And random trivia -- part of the ATL movie was shot in one of my client's homes. Seen the winding staircase in the trailer? That's off Mt. Paran road.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?