Tuesday, March 07, 2006

 

The Loss of One of the Few Lovely Spokespeople

In our line of work we constantly deal with terrible spokespeople - there are divas and dingbats, those that are difficult and many that are detriments to our clients. I had the pleasure to work with a spokesperson that was none of the above.

Dana Reeve, best known as the wife of Superman Chritopher Reeve, was the face and voice of the Claritin pediatric outreach for two years in a row. She was a wonderful woman to work with. She was a PR dream and a wonderful personto work with. From a professional view, she mingled with the clients, delivered all of her key messages perfectly, and truly believed in the benefits of the product she was touting. Personally, she was kind, open and even invited our team and clients to her home for media training when her husband was on his final days.

Most importantly, she was very real. I had the pleasure of spending several days with her doing media interviews around NYC. She shared with me stories of her children, difficult experiences in her life like dealing with Christopher's ex-wife and the struggle of going back to work to try and make enough money to handle all of Christopher's many hospital bills.

I rememer calling my mom after working with her and telling her about what a great person she was and what a phenomenal work perk it was for me to get to spend time with her.
When I read about her death this morning, I was saddened and surprised. It is hard to understand why one family would suffer so many struggles. I think of her son, and Christopher's children and hope that they will continue to remain strong and try and emulate the wonderful people that their parents were.

Also, I try to look on the bright of side of things and as Carol said this morning, "she gets to be back together with her Superman."
Comments:
I,too, was very saddened by Dana's death. I've long admired her and am actually jealous that you got to know her briefly. It seems really unfair that this happened to that one terrific family. My heart goes out to their son. If the rest of the family is a great as Dana and Christopher, he'll be OK. Aren't we lucky to be in a business that exposes us to the real pearls like Dana!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?