Friday, May 12, 2006

 

Could LOST really be a big marketing ploy?

I am a die hard LOST fan. I tune in every Wednesday to find out what will happen next. Are the survivors indeed in purgatory as many fan discussion boards speculate? What is the Dharma initiative really about? Is the Hanso corporation evil?

Two weeks ago, I (along with every other fan) noticed an advertisement for the Hanso Foundation that ran during the regular commercial break during LOST. The short ad listed a website and phone number to call. A frenzy ensued, and fans across the country called the number to get clues to unlock parts of the Hanso Website (www.thehansofoundation.com for the curious.) Instantly curious, I began perusing the Fan boards and found out about "The Lost Experience," a game for the fanatical LOST watcher to find clues which will lead fans deeper into the lost mystery.

I also found out that a companion book called "Bad Twin," published by Hyperion (sister company of ABC) was selling online. This book is the same manuscript that Sawyer was reading before Jack snatched it out of his hands and threw it into the fire, and supposedly written by an author who died on the fictional Oceanic flight. Although the book (which can be found on Amazon) is not flying off the shelves, I still think ABC is smart to think outside of the box (or the television set) with LOST fans.

Sprite has gotten in on the game as well. This week's Hanso commercial included a web address to www.subLYMONal.com. In addition, Sprite sponsors some of The Hanso Foundation matieral, Sprites motto is "OBEY you thirst", if I recall correctly LYMON was a campaign for Sprite a few years back and when you visit the website, the word OBEY flashes on the screen and the website closely resembles Sprite's new ad campaign.

So I pose this question. . .Could the TV show LOST be an experiment in marketing?

Fans are responding to this kind of interactive television in a positive way and I know I am enjoying the ride.
Comments:
As a fellow obsessed Lost fan, I will say that nothing this show has done has annoyed me...until now. Leave us hanging, kill off favorite characters, make me afraid to venture upstairs when the show is over, but leave the ads for the commercial breaks!
 
I think by the end of every episode I am screaming "NOOOOOOO! You mean I have to wait until next week?!?!?!"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?