Monday, May 08, 2006

 

I Pity the Fool Who Misses this Show

Starting this October, Mr. T (yes, the one of "The A-Team" fame) will be dispensing advice to people struggling with personal or professional problems in a new TV series humorously titled “I Pity the Fool.” (Well, I think it’s a tongue-in-cheek title. That may not have been what TV Land was going for.) In the series, the “star” will travel across the country dispensing inspiration and advice.

That’s right. Ordinary people like you and me can go on TV and have Mr. T tell us that we’re idiots. In case there’s any question as to what exactly he plans on telling guests, he clarified in an interview with AP. According to Mr. T, he’s not at all like Dr. Phil, and people won’t be sitting around crying (at least not initially, anyway, though I suspect they might be later). Instead, they’ll hear uplifting advice like: "You're a fool — that's what's wrong with you. You're a fool if you don't take my advice."

To be fair, I can’t let that be the only information presented. I mean, he has his moments of brilliance too. For example, talking (what the T in his name stands for, apparently) will be the secret to his show and the basis for his advice. Who knew that talking could solve problems?

Yes, the show will be on TV Land, but what does it say about our culture that a wrestler-turned-TV star whose last claim to fame was a TV show from 1983 is suddenly deemed qualified enough to solve people’s personal problems? Do I really trust a man who wears that much gold jewelry to tell me what exactly is wrong with my life?

Having said that, are we taking odds as to how successful this show will be? I’ll be the first to admit that I may have to watch one episode, just to see what it’s like. And maybe that’s the real secret to the show…
Comments:
Although I never cease to be amazed by the crap Americans will watch on TV, I'm willing to make the first bet on this particular show. I give it six episodes, tops.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall to see how producers come up with various ways to bring D,E and F list celebrities back into our lives? What fun it must be to create these awful pranks on TV watchers!
 
I have to quote a friend of mine now. She was guessing at what the pitch must have looked like and came up with this:

"OK guys. We're playing to two needs in American society: bad life skills and a tremendous dearth of Mr. T in recent years. Here's what I'm thinking. We offer him a platform for disseminating his clear talent for counseling while bolstering the bling industry. What do you think?"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?