Saturday, July 22, 2006

 

Recharging your battery

About twice per year I go through a phase where I just want to leave everything behind and run off to an island and become a bartender. It's never that I don't like my job ( trust me, I love it!), but every now and then the daily grind gets to me and I just need a break. These two times of year are Christmas and Summer - the times I had off for my entire life up until I graduated college. I don't know if other college grads have a hard time transitioning, but it proves challenging to me. So much so, that last year, my grandmother really thought I was serious about moving to a tropical island and not coming back (obviously, I didn't do it).

To alleviate this, I take mini-vacations to gain new perspective and broaden my horizons. When I come back, I'm recharged and excited to begin working again - it makes everything seem fresh. A few years ago, I created a goal that I would go one place every year that I've never been before. Last year, I was quite successful in that goal going to NYC, Miami, Greece and even the tiny town of Port St. Joe, FL. This year, I went to Colorado with my mom for few days (where I'm blogging from now) to see the Rocky Mountains. We went up Pikes Peak and saw Royal Gorge from above and below and watched the sun set over the mountains (talk about Purple Mountains Majesty - I finally understand what the song was talking about). It was a great few days to recharge and relax and now I'm ready to get back to the busy city life.

What do you do to recharge you battery?

See you Monday!
Comments:
I also try to go on mini-vacation during the year. This weekend I will be at Beaches of South Walton (yes, an Edelman client) at my parent's summer house there to celebrate my mom's birthday.

I am so appreciative of our balance days/optional days. I think it is important for all of us to recharge once and a while so we can come back refreshed and rejuvenated, ready to give our all.
 
In some ways, I'd rather take multiple mini-vacations throughout the year than one long one. To me, the sign of a successful vacation is if I get to read just for pleasure and try new restaurants.

Sometimes, I take a couple of days off just to experience things around Atlanta that I normally wouldn't do on the weekend. It's an inexpensive way to feel like I've been somewhere without investing a lot of time and money.

Try this, too: book yourself a hotel room in downtown Atlanta and spend an entire weekend visiting as if you were a tourist. It's really fun and you begin to see things you night not otherwise notice.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?